Sunday, April 5, 2009

Out of a job

Life is always full of surprises and today failed to be no different. I lost my job today. I was informed that they are not sure how a provisional license in nursing, which is what I have, will work with their accrediting body. I worked in telephone nursing. They did not exactly come out and say that I was being let go, rather they needed to get clarification on the law and would get back with me. I took it to mean that I was being let go.

I live in an US territory. Here, just like every other state, they have there own nursing board. This board allows for an immediate provisional nursing license and three exam attempts. So, you can work in a hospital or any other facility for close to a year without having taken this exam. The nursing licensure exam is not the NCLEX, but one they have developed. It is only offered three times a year and costs about $34 to take. It is purported to be way easier than the NCLEX. Since October, I had been working here on a provisional license as a nurse in and out of hospitals.

I did not like hospital nursing here because nurses are assigned as many as 20-40 patients. The people you work with eat you alive. I could give you a million reasons why you would never want to be hospitalized here. So, I was eager as hell to get out of the hospital.

I decided to take the loss of my job as a sign, a good one, that what I really need is to invest my time and mental energies in studying for the NCLEX and finishing my graduate degree here. It also more than ever stresses the fact that I need permanent licensure more than anything. I am not feeling as sad as I thought I would about the loss of my job. It was a relatively easy one, it paid well as far as nursing jobs go, and it got me out of the hospital. However, I had been racking my brain like crazy as to how I was going to juggle so many competing roles.

My ex co-workers asked me if I would return after nursing exam. I take the NCLEX in May, but their nursing exam is in June. I said “No”. There is absolutely no reason to return there. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t feel like I was shafted or anything. I am simply going to put all my effort into finishing my degrees as soon as possible so that I can leave here. I moved here to specifically attend this university and once I finish I would like to leave as soon as possible.

No comments: