Sunday, April 5, 2009

Found, another NCLEX taker

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Today was April Fool’s Day, but there were no practical pranks or jokes for me. It was a really good day for me! I met another woman studying for this exam—a second time around test taker. We decided to form a study group, just her and I. We met through a mutual friend. I was hoping to share some of my materials with her, but she really did not need any of the material I had because she has a phenomenal library and access to good reference and study materials.

We were not quite sure how to study together, but set some goals for our first upcoming meeting that include lab value review and disease review. I suspect that I may have more riding on this test than she does, because she does not necessarily have any immediate plans to work in the field of nursing. But if she is willing to meet and discuss content material, then I believe that it will be an enriching experience for us both. She also has access to an online test prep service and offered to let me use it. I had never heard of it before, but while doing an internet search I found many online comments from former users. Many posed the question if it is an actual indicator for NCLEX success rates. She also gave me an audio NCLEX review. I have one to some extent, but this one is different. They read the question and the answers, offer the answer, and the rationales. That might not be very effective for me because while I do like audio content review listening to questions and picking out possible answers might feel like too much work. After all, I am going to be reading the question on this exam.

Today, before I met her. I called the State Nursing Board in a desperate attempt to find out if this was truly my very last attempt to take the test with the State. I explained that although there is a 3-year open application limit that my application was not actually complete until 2007, as opposed to 2006when I initially applied because I was still paying off my nursing education debt and the university refused to send my transcript to the nursing board. So, therefore the 3-year rule should not apply to me.

An impatient customer service representative flatly told me that the state starting counting from the date the application was received as opposed to the date it was complete. She said to take the exam and pass it by my last eligibility date or go back to school or apply through another state. That really ticked me off: “go back to school” but I ignored it. Instead, I asked her if there was an appellate process for special cases. She put me on hold to confer with someone and returned with the same prognosis. I then asked to speak with someone who was in a position to make decisions and she transferred me but cautioned that the woman she was transferring me to rarely takes calls. So, why are you transferring me then!? The woman did in fact pick up and she basically explained to me the exact same thing, but with a bit more patience. She explained that the legislature changed the law effective 2009. “At first there were no limits, but then we had people who were ten years out of school still registering and re-registering to take licensure exams. So, now you have to take the exam, according to your profession, within two years of graduation. You happen to be over that with nearly three years out of school, but if you pass your exam you can still get licensed through us,” she said.

I thanked her for her time and willingness to listen and she quickly got off the phone. They must have to attend to loads of hopeful applications filled with test anxiety. So, as if it was not settled before. This test is do or die! Damn, I hate to have my back up against the wall, but this is just they way it has to be.

I am not going to beat myself up about it. Things just unfolded the way they did. There is no use in crying over spilled milk. No one is crying anyway. I am feeling hopeful.

I read a few journal articles, went through nursing fundamental questions, some pediatrics and maternal/newborn. I logged onto her online site to check it out. I just had time enough to go through one subject area. I was trying to see if my pending Kaplan subscription is necessary after all. I am desperately trying to see if I can save myself $418 or not. I came away feeling like Kaplan still would be another good investment.

I definitely did my 100 questions today. I am going to do some more before crashing. I worked really hard today.

No comments: